Tips & Tricks
It's easy to create intricate edible lace for a stunning cake. The following instructions are for GoBake Flexi Lace brand, but can be used for any brand of lace mix - just check the recipe on the pack for how much water to add.
For silicone lace mats and mixes, go to our Edible Lace Mats & Icing page.
- Flexi Lace mix
- Silicone lace mat
- Offset spatula
- Canola Oil or similar
- Paper towels
- Using a whisk, mix 35g of Flexi Lace with 80ml of hot tap water and stir until blended.
- Lightly spray your lace mat with Canola Oil and wipe off excess with a paper towel
- Using an offset spatula, gently spread the Flexi Lace into the impressions of your mat
- Run the spatula on a 45 degree angle across the top of the mat to take off any excess lace
- Leave to dry in a warm, dry place for 12-24 hours or until try
- Turn mat over and starting from one corner gently peel the lace from the mat.
- Decorate your cake as desired. To adhere to fondant lightly brush edible glue or water to the fondant and then position your lace as required
- To join your lace, place some water or edible glue onto the fondant, cut your lace using scissors and then apply your lace onto the fondant
- Store any remaining lace mixture in the fridge for up to a week, or in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.Warm slowly in the microwave until you reach the required consistency.
- Create your favourite colour lace by adding colour to Diamond White lace mix, replacing any additional water content from the recipe.
- GoBake 35g pouches will make approx 100g of lace once water is added.