These delightful Stuffed Sugar Cookies are sure to sweeten up your day with their bright colours and marshmallow centers. This recipe uses the Chicago Metallic Stuffed Delights Cookie Pan. Add colour with your choice of gel food colours. Marshmallow Creme is an American product and can be bought from Countdown - you'll find it in the International Foods section.
Makes 10 sandwich cookies.
For the cookies:
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- gel food colouring (optional)
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups marshmallow creme (see note above)
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Use a whisk or fork to incorporate the ingredients. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar on low speed until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed for 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides of the mixer bowl and add the flour mixture.
- Once the flour has started to incorporate, add desired colour and continue mixing on low speed for 4-6 min, or until a soft ball of dough has formed. NOTE: The dough will look crumbly at first, but after 4-6 minutes of mixing, it will form into nice thick ball.
- Roll 2 teaspoons of dough into a ball, and then gently press into each cookie cavity, covering the area almost completely.
- Repeat until all cavities are full.
- Lightly sift icing sugar on the tops of each cookie.
- Place the cookie pan on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven; cool in pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
- Prepare the cookie filling, while cookies are cooling.
Prepare the cookie filling:
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the marshmallow creme and continue beating on medium speed until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the icing sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating on medium speed until smooth.
- Deposit the filling into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2 inch circular tip.
- Fill the cavity of each cookie then sandwich another cookie on top.
- Repeat until all cookies are filled.
Recipe and photo courtesy Chicago Metallic Bakeware